On 01/01/09 Volker Armin Hemmann said:

> the ebuild warned you. Portage and ebuilds are different things. And portage
> has to assume that you know what you are doing.

Sure, the issue is that it warned me too late.

> because it SUCKS when a world update breaks somewhere along 25 of 223. People
> don't want portage to stop.

Perhaps then all such checks should be done at the beginning of running
portage, instead of at the beginning of the individual builds. Debian does
this, running all pre-scripts before actually installing the packages. There
are more than two options here.

> the user is the only one to blame - if you restart X or your system before
> reading the elogs, it is your own fault if something breaks. A running
> service, like X, ssh, apache, isn't influenced by any update until you
> restart
> it.

No, untrue. Running services with loadable modules such as apache can easily
be disasterously influenced by underlying changes while they are running. I've
seen it many times.

> So a user who didn't read up before updating and then doesn't read after it
> too deserves what he get.

I was upgrading on the order of 20 packages. Thank goodness I didn't deploy
Gentoo in an enterprise environment and only broke the single machine. Your
philosophy seems to put an undue amount of work on the administrator. Exactly
how many websites should I be checking before I follow the simplistic
instructions in the Gentoo handbook that tell me to just "emerge --update
world"? I followed the instructions found here

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap3

> no, he is right. Linux is not Windows. There are some people who want to turn
> linux into windows. These people should buy a mac.

No argument here, although I don't see how we've gotten on this side-topic of
how Linux is not Windows. I never once asked for that.

> BECAUSE STOPPING IS EVIL! PORTAGE IS NON INTERACTIVE! People want to start an
> update then go away or sleep. I think Neil already told you that.

Which is why it's important to stop up front, not an hour into the process. Or
don't stop at all, but skip the one ebuild.

Cheers,
Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoul...@digitaltorque.ca>