On Donnerstag 01 Januar 2009, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 01/01/09 Alan McKinnon said:
> > The software does not have the slightest vaguest foggiest concept of what
> > the RIGHT and the WRONG drivers are. That's a human being's conclusion.
>
> Apparently it did, hence the warning.

the ebuild warned you. Portage and ebuilds are different things. And portage
has to assume that you know what you are doing.

> > It therefore cannot decide.
>
> It did decide. It decided to continue.

because it SUCKS when a world update breaks somewhere along 25 of 223. People
don't want portage to stop.

> > The devs therefore correctly decided to not even try and decide.
> >
> > Unix-like systems demand that the user actually has a clue, is more than
> > a mere automatonic moron, can and does read information and can and does
> > really make decisions. And is prepared to live with the results.
>
> Orthogonal to the discussion. You are blaming users for laziness in the
> system that could have made it easier to notice a potential problem.

the user is the only one to blame - if you restart X or your system before
reading the elogs, it is your own fault if something breaks. A running
service, like X, ssh, apache, isn't influenced by any update until you restart
it.

So a user who didn't read up before updating and then doesn't read after it
too deserves what he get.

> > Some Unix people try to get all politically correct and hide this
> > fundamental fact, but that is just plain wrong. It will never work any
> > other way than how it is working right now.
>
> Justification by tradition won't help anyone here. I see nothing in this
> post but inflammatory, flawed logic.

no, he is right. Linux is not Windows. There are some people who want to turn
linux into windows. These people should buy a mac.

> > Users that are not prepared to actually think about what they are doing
> > should switch back to Windows. That system specializes in treating their
> > customers like complete idiots.
>
> Like this statement.
>
> I see many posts like this but few suggestions as to how the problem could
> have been avoided ahead of time. I saw one suggestion of how to roll the
> driver back after the fact, which I did, after it was already broken.
>
> Does anyone have any rational arguments to support the system not stopping
> due to the warning, or is this all I can expect?

BECAUSE STOPPING IS EVIL! PORTAGE IS NON INTERACTIVE! People want to start an
update then go away or sleep. I think Neil already told you that.