Do you have a basic conceptual idea of a plan of action?

On May 7, 2011 10:53pm, John Nissen <johnnissen2...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi David,

Apparently this concern about the "methane time bomb" goes back a few years [1]. But Similetov is defeatist:

Similetov added:

We are aware that our results showing that the permafrost is no longer an

impermeable barrier to methane release have not been duplicated by

other researchers at this time. But it is high time to warn people.

He stopped for an instant and smiled, before adding, “We can do nothing about it, of course.”
However one of the comments does mention geoengineering:

Soon CH4 emissions will overwhelm any cuts

Frankly, I wonder how long it will take for people to understand that
soon methane (CH4) emissions from melting permafrost (both under the
sea and on land) will overwhelm any greenhouse gas emission cuts
mankind makes.

Instead, the Greens are chasing their tails demanding politically
unrealistic gigantic emission cuts. Not only would those emissions
cuts, if implimented, waste resources better spent on a feasible
solution, but the Greens are wasting whatever political capital they
have on a lost cause.

Don't you understand that the permafrost will already emit gigantic
amounts of CH4 regardless, because of the thermal inertia of the
climate system, because of the emissions from machines already built
and agriculture, and because of feedback loops like natural methane
emissions and albedo flips?

Obviously, it is a simple choice between a massive cull of mankind and
implimentation of a geoengineering scheme (I suggest using an
engineered aerosol to dim the sun a little). Really, the only question
is will we impliment a sun dimming scheme before or after the
ecosystems rapidly collapse from record heatwaves.
www.myspace.com/dobermanmacleod [2]

It turns out that the commentator is Brad Arnold [3], and I am trying to contact him.

I have also written to Jim Hansen, mentioned in the same EGU report [1]. More recent research seems to confirm Similetov's fears about the instability of the permafrost layer holding back the methane.

It seems that everybody in the scientific establishment has downplayed the methane problem (with very few exceptions, including Peter Wadhams). But that is also true for the retreat of the Arctic sea ice, where the frightening volume trend (with trend line curving towards zero ice end summer 2015 or 2016 [4]) is ignored. The scientists who advise governments give the impression that CO2 emissions cuts can alone solve the global warming problem. This is patently not the case.

We can do something about the methane. We HAVE to do something about the methane! And quickly!!

Cheers,

John

[1] http://www.grist.org/article/Methane-time-bomb-ticking-louder

[2] Unfortunately this page no longer exists.

[3] http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/user/dobermanmacleod

[4] http://psc.apl.washington.edu/wordpress/research/projects/arctic-sea-ice-volume-anomaly/

---

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 12:09 AM, David Appell david.app...@gmail.com> wrote: