There was a large session on methane at the last Goldschmidt Conf this Aug.
http://www.goldschmidt2011.org/program/programView?period=17c&pdf=1
numerous methane papers in other sessions can be found by searching "methane"
at:
http://www.goldschmidt2011.org/abstracts/abstractSearch
e.g., http://www.goldschmidt2011.org/abstracts/finalPDFs/2035.pdf
I did not attend the session, but did briefly talk to Bill Reeburgh who gave
the keynote, and if I remember correctly he seemed quite adamant that natural
methane oxidation would be more than adequate to handle future marine methane
releases.  In any case he wrote a major review on marine methane:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cr050362v
that is likely required reading. My own view is that the difficulties of CO2
mitigation will likely pale in comparison to attempts to safely mitigate
methane above that naturally possible, but happy to have someone disprove that
hypothesis.
Good luck.
-Greg