Hi All,

This is a 1hr. lecture that is highly informative as to the state of
knowledge on the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSTm6cZjO14&feature=related

In dealing with vents, one possible path came to mind as I watched the
lecture. That is, accelerating methane aerobic oxidation through increasing
the O2 saturation of the water column well above the vent. Going well above
the vent should protect the anaerobic oxidation being performed by the sea
floor biotic colony (if present). Here is a paper on the importance of the
vent colony oxidation of methane;
http://www.mumm-research.de/download_pdf/treude_et_al_aom_hr.pdf

This technique would require a wave/solar powered buoy feeding a microbubble
stream(s) down the anchoring line to the appropriate depth. This type
of buoy could also function as a monitoring station reporting multiple
sounding via sat. link. I believe that a simple design could be prototyped
and tested rather quickly. Obviously, if successful, the shear numbers of
needed oxidation buoys will call for simple/low cost design(s). Different
environments will need to be taken into consideration. ESAS units may need
an ice snorkel to transmit data, as well as, some form of compact thermal
energy harvesting gear. Capillary collection of the methane may also be
possible. That fuel flow could be used in a fuel cell.

On the issue of sea floor level gas capture, these same buoys could be used
to create, through ocean water electrolysis, carbonate shell (hollow reef)
like caps above the vent. Dr, Rau was patient enough to explain to me the
drawbacks of ocean water electrolysis and I am fully prepared to be shot
down on this idea. But, the growth time would be relative short and the Cl
byproduct will need further considerations.

What is to be done with the captured methane? One idea is to use in in a way
which cools the surrounding water. A methane fuel cell powering a string(s)
of Peltier coolers should be a good use for the methane.

Dr. Kastner also points out the need to locate/evaluate and monitor hydrate
formations, potential landslides in particular. A multipurpose buoy network
may be useful in those areas.

I hope the lecture helps those that are just beginning to grasp the methane
issue, like it helped me.

Thanks,