Hi Folks,

Andrew,
I did not have that extreme degree of aeration in mind. And, I can not see
"massively enhanced methane excursions" happening if reasonable bubblers
designs are developed. First and formost, the core of the concept is to
increase the O2 saturation a few percent for as deep as practical without
oxygenating the sea floor colonies and then start growing a capture/use
means. I am not looking to sink ships with this idea!!!!! Although, I could
if taken to the extreme and had the money. The aeration part of the concept
is to deploy the ocean equivalent of garden soaker hoses!!! However, I did
not go into technical detail and so I can't blame you for going to the
maximum extreme. With that said, if everyone wants to jump in on this
concept and help bootstrap it up, I have no problems with that. I
welcome collaboration, not being clobbered!

Mixers are fine but they have significant limitations that I would like to
work around. Lack of depth of penetration, high energy and maintenance are
significant considerations in using mixers. If the use of mixers must be
adopted, my recommendations for modifications for this use are below. The
firm Albert pointed to could probably help with the prototypes and they may
want to be CC.           Albert, I was very impressed with your other post
today, thanks.

First, these are the design points I would work towards and would look for
in any system:

1) Little to no maintenance.

2) Ease of deployment/retrieval and no longer than 18m/60ft (shipping
restrictions) We are looking at using commercial fishing vessels for normal
deployment/retrieval.

3) Low cost durable hull.

4) Adjustable depth of penetration.

5) Mass production.

6) Opportunities to stimulate production of new technologies ie. Hydrogen
Fuel Cells, advanced materials etc

This is just the start of a design criteria list and so please feel free to
pitch in. I don't think the above list need explanation with the possible
exception of #6.

If this project ever goes forward, we have an opportunity to put new
technologies into mass production. I think this project has the potential
unit numbers to see a significant drop in consumer prices for any "new tech"
we adopt. Small fuels cells are a case in point. Throughout this effort, I
encourage everyone to "shop around" for new tech/materials and post. I have
my own ideas, but I am looking forward to a collaboration....here in the
open....to get this moved to the prototype stage.

Second, I have been through the patent and product development routine and
know just how complicated this can be....or not be. I personally, would
prefer the latter. This is a rather simple idea and has room for many people
giving input. The IP issue will work itself out and I have no intentions of
dyeing with a bank full of money. I just believe this is worth a trying.

Here are my recommendations for adopting a mixer aerator product for this
use:

To provide for adjustable depth penetration, I would choose a segmented
design which, through adding/subtracting segments, can provide the needed
depth adjustment. Here is the hull I would first look at
http://www.canadaculvert.com/hdpe.php Simple, cheap, flexible and readily
available. Penetrating as deep as possible has important advantages relative
to oxidation time.

Each end of the conduit would be fitted with a short internal scaffolding.
This scaffolding can have a number of functions. The primary functions are
to provide for connecting the segments together, giving rigid support for
the system, providing equipment attachment points and anchoring points. The
scaffolding can be made out of any durable/material.

This configuration can thus have multiple internal impellers staged along
the conduit if needed. Also. this configuration allows for the main power
and motor units to be at or close to the surface while energizing other
internal/external equipment at depth if needed through appropriate means.

So, that is my idea of a basic structural starting point. I believe it is
reasonable and meets the design criteria listed.

As an inventor, I would like to throw out some "wild" possibilities just so
it is on the record. High temp. super conductors/coils/magnets may find a
use here as a pumping means, deployment/relocation means and energy storage
means (water cooling is a given). Graphene will find a home here. Wave
energy additions will be added. Interferometry will be utilized. Means for
pH balancing will also find a home here. These are just some ideas for the
future. *They Are Not For Immediate Consideration!!!!*  Your ideas?
 Sci-Fi writers could have a field day with this concept.

Please jump in and post your thoughts. I do hope this can be a quick and
productive effort.

Michael