Hi Folks,

Bhaskar, I am linking a Diatom website which has a bank of other related
websites. http://www.indiana.edu/~diatom/diatom.html#ultimate

<http://www.indiana.edu/~diatom/diatom.html#ultimate>This is a new field for
me to study and I apologize for not getting back to your PM this weekend.
And, the lake has thrived once I balanced the pH, way beyond my
expectations.

>From the little time I have had to study up on the subject, I can offer only
two question.

1) How do you envision deploying them in a way that can maintain a focused
effect on a hydrate field?

2) Can you address the issue of their competitive metabolic needs with that
of the surrounding biota. In that, would they pose a threat to the natural
food chain if deployed and maintained in large quantities?

I want to thank you for your persistence in trying to raise the use of this
path of thought. I personally am having to climb multiple steep learning
curves on the methane issue and actually welcome another. I believe the most
advanced ideas will come from what has been described by Matt Ridley as
"Ideas Having Sex". This is his TED Talk.
http://www.ted.com/talks/matt_ridley_when_ideas_have_sex.html

<http://www.ted.com/talks/matt_ridley_when_ideas_have_sex.html>On the issue
of my first question to you. Would a type of  physical "incubator" for
establishing colony growth be useful in deploying and maintaining diatoms in
a prescribed area work in your opinion? If so, any ideas on the best way to
design such an incubator? Sam brought up a study showing potential hypoxic
ocean areas. Here is the link
http://newscenter.lbl.gov/feature-stories/2011/05/04/methane-arctic/     As
you can see from the second figure, the entire north Pacific is becoming
hypoxic due to methane dissociation. As a side note, that area has the most
intense bottom trawling activity on the planet. The path of dead biota they
leave behind has to impact O2 levels.

One potential benefit of mass stimulation of Diatoms has come to mind. Ocean
Acidification is the elephant in the room, as far as marine health is
concerned. Bhaskar, do you think it is possible that by increasing Diatom
production in a local area that the pH level in the local waters can be
adjusted? My thought is that if the acid is used up by dissolving this
"introduced" mass, would it have a positive effect on the local biotic web?

We do need a marine biologist giving input here.

Thanks again for bringing this forward.

Michael