Bhaskar,

Here is a Google search list I will be working through in trying to
understanding on my last question as to the impact of diatoms on ocean
acidification.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Efficiency+of+the+CO2-concentrating+mechanism+of+diatoms&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

As I am just learning about this, please excuse my fumbling about.

As diatoms are the main means of transporting CO2 to the ocean floor, would
the idea of large-scale mid-ocean "diatom farms" appeal to you? Large scale
Diatoms Mats can be positioned in the "Trash Gyres". The gyres are remote
and have little surface current. I am sure you know of them, but I will
include the Wiki for other readers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

Can you give some idea of the CO2 transport of diatoms to the ocean floor
per km 2/time? I am sure a number of factors, such as type of diatom and mat
depth would need to be considered.

I do realize that the use of equipment is not your first preferred option.
However, I can bring to the table a number of ideas on how to envelope
floating diatom mats which can cover latterly thousands of
square kilometers. These "controlled mats" could have a number of
other benefits if other concepts are married to it. One point being that
thick mats would entrain the decomposing trash in the gyres. This could lead
to a method to remove that pollution on an ongoing way. Another
potential benefit is the potential of large area cooling that would be
expected from such large controlled mats.

These mats do not have to be contentious. In that, open areas would
be incorporated. They would not completely block the sun light from the
underlying waters and passing sea life would adapt, probably in interesting
ways. This does seem like a good way to use the gyres.

Thanks again and please let me know your thoughts.

Michael

I will think about other additional possibilities for the concept and am
interested in hear your views on such the concept.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch>