Klein never said that it was the researchers avoiding the hard work.  And
in that, I agree with her completely.  Politicians, heads of large
corporations and other concentrations of power are nearly all playing a
game of "kick the can down the street".  Eventually we'll reach a point
where whoever is in power when things hit the fan will have to reach for
whatever solution is available, and geoengineering will be at the top of
the list.  This is why I think it's absolutely critical that we do as much
research into geo. technologies as possible before there's a political
incentive for people in government to "do something about it".  I want
those decisions to be as well informed as possible.

I also see a problem at the "retail activist" level, with all the members
of one green group or another who are adamant that we simply can't tell
newcomers how serious climate change is out of fear we'll scare them away
from activism.  I've heard this dozens of times both locally as well as
around the US from people who should be doing vigorous outreach to
mainstream consumers and voters.  The truly frightening part is that the
people saying this almost never understand how urgent the situation is;
many of them still cling to the notion that we can "fix" CC in just a few
years by recycling, changing our light bulbs, and driving a hybrid.  I
honestly don't know how much blame the green groups should get for that,
i.e. for not educating their own members, and how much is simply human
psychology at work.