I'm not a climate modeler and my understanding of what goes in to conventional
physics process-based atmospheric models is very limited, so correct me if I am
wrong mike, but I was under the impression that it was the horizontal not the
vertical pressure gradients that M & G think is inadequately treated in
conventional models.  Isn't it those horizontal pressure forces that power
their biotic pump.

At least in the context of the Amazon, I would like to see a back of the
envelope comparison of the pressure forces driven by condensation and the
larger-scale forces that power the trade winds.

John Harte
Professor of Ecosystem Sciences
ERG/ESPM
310 Barrows Hall