Dear Ron and Colleagues

In our biotic pump collaboration we all have somewhat diverse and
complementary perspectives on the potential implications of our work, as
influenced by our backgrounds and regional expertise. For a recent
Brazilian outlook please see the widely discussed report of Antonio Nobre
<http://bioticregulation.ru/news.php?nn=47> (available in English, Spanish
and Portuguese). Below I express what Victor Gorshkov and I think is the
bottomline. Douglas will hopefully add his insights -- see also his blog
post on this topic with a few pictures illustrating the mechanism here
<http://judithcurry.com/2014/04/15/forest-climate-and-condensation/>.

Water on land is an exceptionally fragile resource; it leaks back to the
ocean very quickly (the global freshwater store can be depleted by the
exisiting runoff in just a few years). Thus, life on land exists at the
expense of a continuous import of moisture from the ocean via the
atmosphere. In our work we argue that this inflow can only persist if there
is an intense evaporation flux over land. This flux, which under
appropriate circumstances, can greatly exceed evaporation from the ocean,
is maintained by the forest cover. The forest both stores moisture and
supplies it to the atmosphere to initiate condensation that drives winds.
Without a forest cover life inland cannot flourish as the moisture inflow
on average declines exponentially with distance from the ocean (with a
e-folding length of a few hundred kilometers). In some places lack of
vegetation can cause arid conditions even very close to the ocean where
otherwise one could expect intense rainfall. Examples are the Brazilian
caatinga <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caatinga> and the Horn of Africa
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_of_Africa>.

This means, briefly, that no forests -- no rivers, no rain on a continental
scale. Forest preservation and forest restoration are the main priority for
sustaining normal conditions for the operation of our land-based
civilization.

An essential point is that the biotic pump moisture transport is a very
complex mechanism that is controlled by vegetation. A great variety of
biochemical substances emitted by plants and the associated biota change
the dew point (which depends on how clean the atmosphere is). This gives a
physical possibility to the forest to switch condensation on/off at
different amounts of atmospheric water vapor. These forest properties are
different at different stages of forest succession. E.g. in our boreal zone
early successional species are all leafy, so they cannot provide a
significant evaporation flux early in spring when the foliage has not yet
developed. Primary coniferous species like spruce start photosynthesis and
transpiration immediately with the onset of warm weather. Therefore,
large-scale destruction of primary forests and their successional re-growth
via the stage of deciduous trees can trigger continent-scale biotic pump
disruption and associated climatic shifts that will last for decades.

This is to emphasize that reforestation must really be SMART, i.e. it
should take into account the stability of the forest ecosystem itself.
Reforestation seen just as re-planting (as done in China) is a dead-end.
Lots of territories that are now occupied by what we city-dwellers would
call a "forest" is in fact just a slowly or rapidly degrading tree-covered
land, not self-sustainable forest ecosystems with a high climate mitigation
potential as they used to be. We need a totally new, cutting-edge science
of forest medicine to start returning our land to a self-sustainable state.

Best wishes
Anastassia