Researchers including Vizy by contrast suggest that the Amazon will dry to
a open grassland / scrubland ecosystem, called Caatinga

http://utexas.influuent.utsystem.edu/en/publications/effects-of-twentyfirstcentury-climate-change-on-the-amazon-rain-forest%28d2e9490e-1577-4493-a35d-5e0d93873801%29.html

See also this article on The Ecologist by Peter Bunyard:
http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/2776099/without_its_rainforest_the_amazon_will_turn_to_desert.html

 Without its rainforest, the Amazon will turn to desert

Peter Bunyard

2nd March 2015
  Tweet <http://twitter.com/share>
       Mainstream climatologists predict a 15% fall in rainfall over the
Amazon if it is stripped of its rainforest. But the 'biotic pump' theory,
rooted in conventional physics and recently confirmed by experiment, shows
that the interior of a forest-free Amazon will be as dry as the Negev
desert. We must save the Amazon before it enters a permanent and
irreversible dessication.