Hi all,
I think I ought to clarify what I am trying to do and repose the question,
as well as respond to all the replies.
What I am attempting to do is this: Under low probability scenarios of
nuclear war with high SRM burden (maybe due to a large warming, either
because of high emissions or high ECS and TCR, either being far in excess
of either the most likely scenarios or of the median values), would the
termination "shock" have any effect? Not just would it be dwarfed by the
effect of nuclear war, but would it truly be negligible in comparison? If
not, what would the effect be?
Why do I care about this; after all, a global nuclear war capable of
producing civilizational collapse enough to cause SRM termination would
kill billions, and as Mike MacKraken suggests, would massively change
society (what I am terming "collapse")?
- From many philosophical worldviews, it is important to know if such
collapse would be permanent or lead to human extinction, or whether it is
recoverable. These obviously exist on a spectrum, and thus whether
something like SRM contributes to it being easier/harder for recovery from
collapse is really important.
- Whilst it is true that, in terms of the arguments you have been making,
nuclear war is the real and most important problem, it is still important
to know if large scale termination shock contributes in any meaningful way
to either slightly increasing or slightly decreasing the damages from the
nuclear winter. Such relatively small changes (a single order of magnitude
lower lets say) may be important in terms of whether a collapse is
recoverable (note the word may, I would be happy to hear evidence to the
contrary)

Now onto responses to the points raised:
In Alan's paper that Gilles cites, the temperature anomaly is less than 8K,
and in Coupe et al 2019 which Alan cites on his website (as one of many
excellent papers that he has co-authored), the temperature anomaly is of
-10K. Of course, the impacts are not limited to cooling (nor the impacts of
nuclear war limited to nuclear winter). Nonetheless, and please do tell me
if I am missing something key here, it doesn't seem that the temperature
anomaly that SRM termination would cause (be it +1K or +3K or others) would
be entirely negligible. Of course, it would be dwarfed by the impact of
nuclear war, which will cause the vast majority of the damage, causes the
first catastrophe that causes civilizational collapse, and causes the
deaths of billions. Nonetheless, I struggle to see how this by itself makes
the impact of SRM induced forcing negligible. For instance, if, as Doug
MacMartin is suggesting, SRM termination reduces the delta T from nuclear
winter, even by 1K, surely that's somewhat significant. Please correct me
if such an assessment is wrong. Similarly, if SRM makes the whole scenario
worse, in the way that Seth Baum suggests in Baum (2013), then that is also
significant. Even if it is small compared to the impact of nuclear winter,
none of these plausible impacts seem negligible to me, even if we were only
doing 1K of cooling with SRM (even less so if doing 3K of cooling). If I
care about increasing the chance the civilizational collapse isn't
permanent/ doesn't result in human extinction by any amount (be it 1 or
10%), then these questions seem significant.

The catastrophe proposed in this scenario is a global catastrophe that
essentially collapses civilisation, reducing the capacity of human
organisation to such a degree that sustaining SRM would simply not be
possible. This is the reason I somewhat doubt that a more local nuclear war
could stop our capacity to carry out SRM, as I find the arguments in Parker
and Irvine (2018) with regards to the requirements for termination shock to
be robust and compelling, hence the scenario I have set out.

Of course nuclear war is the main thing to worry about; it is the dominant
major catastrophe. However, what I am trying to do is a risk-risk analysis
of what Tang and Kemp (2021)
[https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fclim.2021.720312/full#:~:text=Stratospheric%20Aerosol%20Injection%20and%20Global%20Catastrophic%20Risk,-Aaron%20Tang1&text=Injecting%20particles%20into%20atmosphere%20to,the%20threat%20of%20climate%20change.]

describe as latent risk of SRM; key global catastrophic risks that are only
activiated given certain scenarios. In particular, I am trying to test the
robustness of the concept of "double catastrophe" of SRM being
significantly worse than the "single catastrophe" given the same warming
but no SRM, which is introduced in Baum et al 2013
[https://gcrinstitute.org/papers/003_double-catastrophe.pdf] without much
supporting evidence. I am sceptical that a nuclear war + SRM is worse than
a nuclear war with no SRM; in fact, if anything, the former seems on first
assumptions to be slightly better. However, given the importance of such a
question (if it occurred it may lead to an increased probability of human
extinction) and the neglectedness of such low probability high impact
risks, it seems to me wrong to reject the question out of hand.

In the field of Global Catastrophic Risk studies, we are dealing with low
probability high impact events. I am not saying that this scenario will
happen, or is even likely to happen. But we plug ourselves in when we go in
our car, despite a car crash on any given journey being unlikely, because
the consequences are so severe. So what I want to try and work out is if
there is any valid concerns here, even if we think those concerns only have
a <10% or even <5% probability of occurring.
I hope I have better clarified what I am trying to ask, and I do apologise
for any confusion. I am really thankful for your responses so far, and
apologies if I have misinterpreted what you have been saying thus far. I am
happy to answer any concerns, and please do say if you think I am simply
speaking nonsense
Kind Regards
Gideon Futerman