From: Gideon Futerman <ggfuter...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 6:10 PM
To: Douglas MacMartin <dgm...@cornell.edu>
Cc: gdebrou...@gmail.com; Daniele Visioni <daniele.visi...@gmail.com>;
geoengineering <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [geo] Nuclear Winter and SRM (including termination shock)

I think this is going to get into more general philosophy/ethics around
Existential Risks, Longtermism and Global Catastrophic Risks, which whilst
interesting and useful, probably a bit orthogonal to what people are turning to
the geoengineering google group for. But basically, a difference between 6
billion and say 6.1 billion or 6.5 billion is firstly important from the
perspective of deaths: that's still 100 million people. Secondly, climatic
effects, excess deaths on top of the nuclear winter (or reduced severity!)  etc
are potentially relevant for whether it will "only" kill 6 billion and whether
it will lead to irrecoverable (not merely awful) societal collapse, which from
various longtermist perspectives is very bad. Given how hard it would be to
recover anyway, a "double catastrophe" could make recovery much harder
distinguish between a  Global Catastrophic Risk and an existential risk, which
from various philosophical viewpoints is very important.
Thus, such a question ie whether SRM might increase/decrease the likelihood of
a global catastrophic risk being converted to an existential risk (due to this
Latent Risk of termination shock we have been discussing) is of serious
interest to many people, including potentially major funders who are
potentially interested in investing in SRM research. In that sense, this
impacts some potentially very important decisions for the future of our field,
and the distinction between 6 billion and say 6.5 billion, or  even if it just
makes societal recovery 10% less likely to happen, it may be absolutely vital.
I am happy to explain this in more depth if people need, although what I was
really wanting to ask the list for was fundamentally a question of physical
science to try and answer this application.
Even if none of this has convinced you of the moral importance of it, the
question I was asking was fundamentally a physical one, responding to a
scientific assumption in Baum et al 2013 that I thought seemed potentially
unsound (that under nuclear war termination shock would lead to a double
catastrophe and not a slight softening of the first catastrophe). Given that
paper is one of only a handful papers published in this intersection between
SRM and Global Catastrophic Risk studies, such a claim is, even from a
physical/empirical rather than moral viewpoint, important to test. Hence why I
have posed this question.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 at 19:59, Douglas MacMartin