Oops, almost forgot: there is also an XML encoding available for those
who need to specify the character set for their translations.  This
should work in theory, but hasn't been tested (and indeed, I seem to
recall some issues when we tried it out the first time.)  (at least) If
we get a volunteer to provide translations in a non-latin-ish character
set, someone should probably double-check that all the pieces are in
place for that to happen.  For the record, the format is described in
the documentation for the Java Properties class:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo -- http://opengeo.org/