With respect to SourceForge reliability: From a search of GS discussions
(Gitter and otherwise), there's been a notable SourceForge outage at least
once a year. In addition to these, I believe there have been a number of
other short, minor outages that were an annoyance, but not of sufficient
scope to be remarked upon.

SourceForge Outages:

February 13-20, 2018, blocked GT 19-beta / GS 2.13-beta for a day or two,
also knocked out Mailing Lists.

September 27-28, 2017, blocked GT 18-RC1 / GS 2.12-RC1 build for a day or
two, also knocked out Mailing Lists. We tested uploading the release to
GitHub, it was pretty easy: https://github.com/geotools/geotools/releases/
tag/18-RC1

May 9th 2016 - SourceForge outage blocking downloads of GeoServer

February 22, 2016 - SourceForge outage blocking GWC 1.7.4 release,
artifacts uploaded to GitHub:
https://github.com/GeoWebCache/geowebcache/releases/tag/1.7.4

July 21-21, 2015 - SourceForge outage blocking downloads and mailing lists

December 16, 2014 - SourceForge down, blocking mailing lists

In addition to this, SourceForge does not have a particularly good
reputation:

   - They have been known to inject malicious code into binaries in the
   past (This was in 2015, see

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/sourceforge-grabs-gimp-for-windows-account-wraps-installer-in-bundle-pushing-adware/
   )
   - I have found reports of people being redirected to malicious sites
   after downloading GeoServer via SourceForge (Although note that this was in
   2016, they seem to have improved somewhat since then)

So, one outage in 2.5 years is not accurate, and apart from that there are
other reasons why SourceForge is perhaps not the best place to be hosting
artifacts.

I am personally more concerned about changing how we host artifacts than
changing mailing lists. I think we would probably be OK to remain with
SourceForge for hosting the mailing lists, given that it would be a very
disruptive move.

Torben