On 22/04/2022 10:41, Jim web wrote:
In article <c9dc0947-5017-f467-34b5-9c25c208b...@macfh.co.uk>, MacFH - C
Macfarlane - News <n...@macfh.co.uk> wrote:
On 20/04/2022 12:27, Jim web wrote:
In article <ac6804ae-5d54-8a34-5c7f-e583c6f78...@macfh.co.uk>, MacFH -
C E Macfarlane - News <n...@macfh.co.uk> wrote:

I can understand that this might happen if the PIDs are the same, but
it's not my experience.  '5 Live Science' is the first time I've come
up against this.

I specify items via pid as per their listings in the daily shedules.
R4 items then tend to come as the longer 'podcast' version in terms of
content. But having the pid shown on the BBC R4 schedules. However I
don't normally look at "!Zounds" so don't know about any items that
are podcasts which aren't broadcast.

What are the URLs of the listing pages you are using to get the PIDs?

Example: Today's R4 page that I'd use is this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl7j

If I then hover the mouse pointer over an item FireFox shows the
address/pid at the bottom left of its window. e.g. For the "Midnight News"
I see "m0016hg6".

I then give that to gip and it fetches the file. In many cases this then
gives me a 'podcast' version - i.e. longer than the broadcast slot and
often with a top/tail about podcasts, etc.

FWIW I go though the listings and make a text file listing the pids of
items I want. I then DND that file onto a simple ROX-Filer app I've
written. This then chugs though fetching them as I do something else - e.g.
make breakfast. :-)

Also did that to fetch the 'RKO story' and the following films this
morning. (Listed on BBC4 TV last night.) Whilst I made breakfast. Also
means I can fetch before 9am and the data isn't counted towards my monthly
data 'cap'. Looking forwards to seeing (almost) "The Thing" again as I've
just finished the book "Astounding" about  John W. Campbell and his main
authors.

Thanks for the URLs and explanation.

FWIW, I use Digiguide, so don't see PIDs, which is why I enquired about that. As I think I've explained before, I have five lists of search terms*, each of which, in the order below in turn, is read by a self-written multi-purpose Perl script and fed in a call to GiP as a list of search terms. I can also specify extra search terms on the command-line for it, to accommodate anything I see in the schedules that's not already in the lists.

I could and used to automate this further, by having it run on an overnight schedule on my old NAS. However, as GiP and my own Perl script evolved, I found that some of the modules needed, particularly for the former, wouldn't install because of the age of the Perl system on it, which I found I couldn't upgrade, and the NAS was seeming increasingly slow compared to the increasing demands being placed upon it. So I've upgraded it to a new one, but haven't got around to putting Perl or GiP on that. Instead I run GiP manually every evening on this PC, by calling my script.

* The lists and their intended use are:

Full HD TV - A new one similar to the next, which I've just created after discovering here that these downloads are available, so I haven't yet quite decided on absolute criteria to distinguish between the two.

HD TV - For David Attenborough and other nature documentaries, films, etc.

SD TV - Other documentaries such as The Sky At Night, sports coverage, or anything where the content is highly ephemeral and so not worth the extra download time and space of better resolution.

HiDef Radio - For music.

Radio       - For science reports, other ephemeral content, etc.