Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 12:16:24AM +0100, Andreas Beck wrote:
> > I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy new year - the last year
> > of the 20th century :-).
>
> *WHACK*  21st century starts in 2001.

No it doesn't and here's why:

Whether or not the start of our era was put at the year 1 or 0 doesn't
matter as this date (ref. Christ) is off by about 4 years anyway, so we
can just put the start of the AD era at 0 (which will not change
anything ) which is the only sensible choice (for anything one can go
before or after (or at least have recorsds of them), such as keeping
time and measuring distances). Starting to count from 1 in these cases
is just plain stupid.

Note also that the AD timekeeping was installed after the fact  so noone
'experienced' the years upto the new date system as 'AD' years. This
makes it especially irrelevant to insist that 1 was the first year and
that a century ends at the end of year x00 (as 'counting from 1' for
time is bad, as I said above, bad, but worse, nobody actually did
that!).

Bye,

Wouter