On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> "Jon M. Taylor" wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Marco Confalonieri wrote:
> >
> > > I read the Jon's letter about LibGGI3D, downloaded the 2000-01-21
> > > snapshot and tried to compile the LibGGI3d stuff.
> > > I ran autogen.sh and tried to 'make' the thing, but gcc complains about
> > > a missing file called matrix.h .
> >
> >         This is from Meschach, the linear algebra library I use for 3D
> > transforms and such.  The configure.in does not properly autodetect a
> > Meschach install, nor a glib install which is also required.
> >
> > > Could I rewrite it? (Well... I am not a
> > > marvelous developer, but if this file is only for basic matrix
> > > transformation I think I can write it).
> >
> >         Sure, but Meschach is already available and it is quite good.
> > Unfortunately the only distribution which packages it is Debian |-/.
> Could I suggest that you indeed include the code directly ? 3d transformations
> are a rather trivial thing so I think yet another library dependency is really
> not desirable (especially if this library is all but standard, as you say yourself,
> it's just packaged for debian...).

        Well, the issue here is that I do not want to set any kind of
formal structure for the LibGGI3D modules.  Thus, the 3D transform
module(s) which use Meschach are not any more important than any other
type of 3D transform modules which might use their own linear algebra code
as you suggest or another type of math library or whatever.  Just as
LibGGI does not include the Glide code even though the Glide target
depends on it, so too should LibGGI3D not concern itself with the
dependencies of any one of its modules.  Make sense?

becoming one with God.'
        - Scientist G. Richard Seed