How can we know how many of them there is, if they simply downgrade to 2.6
and do not bother to discuss it somewhere?

One of the first things I learned when I was in the marketing and PR
business is that unhappy customers do complain. A lot.

A producer of a commercial product gets the complaints from the customers who paid for that product and are nor satisfied with it. He does not know if there are any customers who were aware of the flaws of his product already before they bought it, and so they simply decided to buy another product.

Also, if you think that changes of this sort should be officially
talked about in any other way than they already have been, I'm
listening.

A warning on the download page.
A tip of the day (if possible the first one).