I am currently working on developing a single abstraction for
representing internal arrays of pixels and converting all code working
with such entities to use this abstraction.  This includes, for
example, eliminating the use of TempBufs for storing pixel data (but
not for storing previews; that's someone else's problem), eliminating
hard-coded dependencies on tile size outside of the tile code itself,
and other such encapsulation.  This abstraction is intended to be
vaguely analoguous to the ImageData class in GEGL, although it is by
no means an exact match.  In most cases, PixelData objects will
replace TileManagers as well as TempBufs.

Please do not do anything related to tiles, tile managers, or pixel
regions without consulting me first.

                         I love catnip mice.
                   It's why I chew their heads off.
                     They're good for breakfast.