That depends a whole lot on what is in a bare bones system, does it not?
 I feel confident that I can build an entire bare bones system without
having any programs in this system being from GNU packages.

The GNU percentage depends highly on what the distribution provider puts
into it.

Since I deal mostly in 'bare bones' systems such as firewalls and
tightened machines, the GNU percentage is very low.  I would venture to
say I have significantly more programs of other origin than GNU.
 Therefore, my definition of bare bones systems is opposite what yours is.

Linux is Linux, what's added on after that is a varying figure.

my two bytes on the subject,
David