I've been toying with the idea to create a small program that is built entirely
of plug-ins and allows you to build graphs of dataflow between inputs and outputs
of the plug-ins (nodes in the graph).
This is exactly what Gimpeon does. It's a Gimp plugin, lets you
build a graph (well, actually a line, since I don't have any
multi-input nodes yet) of processing nodes, animate parameters
over time, display multiple points in the graph, update them as
you adjust parameters, and apply the processing graph (line) to
a sequence of images.

It's crashable, but you should be able to get the idea.

David Hodson  --  this night wounds time