Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:10:26 +0200
   From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rapha=EBl?= Quinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   Reasons for calling it 2.0:
   - GTK+ is at 2.2 (maybe 2.4 by the time the next GIMP is out), so we
     would at least get the same major release number even if the minor
     number is different.

IMHO, this is not a good reason for numbering it 2.0.  By now, GTK+
stands independently of the GIMP; it's maintained by different people,
the releases aren't synchronized, and indeed (even in 1.2) the GIMP
has its own widget set layered on top of GTK+.  Whatever the origins
of the name, at present GTK+ is no more "the GIMP toolkit" than
Gimp-Print is "the Print plug-in for the GIMP".

--Eric Crampton