On 9 Aug 2003 at 18:35, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> At 8:36 PM +0200 8/9/03, Dave Neary wrote:
> >Another reason may be that it is difficult to build the development
> >version because it depends on released versions of some libraries that
> >are not included yet in the major GNU/Linux distributions (e.g., GTK+
> >version 2.2.2).  Also, the number of dependencies for GIMP 1.3.x is
> >much higher than the number of dependencies for GIMP 1.2.x, so it is
> >more difficult to have a working build environment for the 1.3.x
> >version.  This problem may be solved as time passes, because more and
> >more distributions will include the required libraries.
>
> I think the related reason here is that many open source
> projects get their contributors from non-Linux platforms, esp.
> Windows.  And building GIMP/Windows is even more of a nightmare than
> building GIMP on Linux.

Well, building GIMP/Windows so that GIMP can be run isn't that complicated -
building it right so it can be "make install"ed is.

Building with Cygwin seems to be rather easy once you've got recent versions of
all required libraries and tools.

Building with MinGW is a bit more complicated - the packages of libiconv and
libintl that are linked from http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html
don't include import libriaries to be used with libtool. All my tries to create
them with pexports and dlltool didn't produce working libs.

Maybe one of the GIMP&GTK/Win32 gods can enlighten a mere mortal on the
modifications that need to be done to build GIMP with MinGW?

Michael