On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 14:23, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>   and anyway, maybe adding a few ifdef round gimp code using specific
>   2.2.x features if it can safely be disabled may help users of older
>   releases or other distros.

We did that for a while. It not only became difficult to maintain but at
some point it became apparent that gtk+-2.0 just had too many bugs that
could not be worked around. The current code still has some ifdefs that
enable workarounds for bugs in gtk+ before version 2.2.2. We do this in
order to avoid a dependency on 2.2.2 but at some point before gimp-2.0,
we will have to drop these workarounds and depend on gtk+-2.2.2 or