Austin Donnelly wrote:
How is the serialization done then, just a raw 32-bit IEEE float
dump with a predefined endianness?  64-bit doubles just as easy?

The real problem comes when your code is running on a system without IEEE float support, and you need to manually convert from IEEE float to your local weird-ass machine float. Not common, I grant you, but a real pain when it bites.

So it's somehow preferable to come up with our own wierd-ass float format and make life equally hard for everyone?

By far the vast proportion of modern machines have IEEE float - so let's
make life easy for the majority.  The minority need a conversion routine
no matter what we do.  The last machine I used that didn't have IEEE float
(some wierd Hitachi microcontroller) had convenient library functions to
interconvert between it's native format and IEEE.

The only other alternative is to use a storage mechanism for which there
is universal conversion support - but the only format that fits that
bill is ASCII - surely we aren't contemplating that for bulk image data?

Steve Baker                      (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
L3Com/Link Simulation & Training (817)619-2466 (Fax)