Nick Lamb wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 03:02:41AM +0100, Adam D. Moss wrote:
>
>>Another data point is that floats are just a bastard to serialise
>>in a portable, precise manner. Personally I'd represent a 32-bit
>>float with a 32-bit integer and 32-bit fixed-point fractional part.
>>Redundant but complete-ish. (Practical better ideas welcomed.)
>
> IEEE floats are portable except for the endian issue. 32-bit floating point
> PCM audio is just IEEE floats prescribed as little (iirc) endian.
>
> Where did you get the idea that this was problematic?

IIRC, the Loki guys.  Some ramblings a few years ago on the
problems of interoperability of game data between
windows/mac/linuxx86/linuxalpha/etc over network and on disk.
They made a special point of saying something like 'never, ever
serialize floats' and it sounded like the voice of experience.

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"I am NOT a nut!  I am the keeper of the seven universal truths!"