Nathan Carl Summers wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Adam D. Moss wrote:
IIRC, the Loki guys.  Some ramblings a few years ago on the
problems of interoperability of game data between
windows/mac/linuxx86/linuxalpha/etc over network and on disk.
They made a special point of saying something like 'never, ever
serialize floats' and it sounded like the voice of experience.

Java doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Even poor fools like me who are working on VM's for machines with non-IEEE floats don't have too much of a problem.

That's good to know, it helps me out with some of my own stuff...

How is the serialization done then, just a raw 32-bit IEEE float
dump with a predefined endianness?  64-bit doubles just as easy?

Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   co:3
"I am NOT a nut!  I am the keeper of the seven universal truths!"