On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:26:33 +0200, David Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> > I think that we would like to do a bit more than bug triage and
> > try to fix some bugs.  So that would be more like a "bug fixing
> > week".  Of course, the "fixing" part would only apply to those who
> > have some coding skills.
>
> I think you have the clearest idea of what is involved in this,
> and you seem to have a good handle on the who, how and when...
> would you mind doing an announcement mail, and pointing to some
> of the relevant GNOME bug triage and "getting involved" docs
> (until, of course, we have our own)? We could try and do this
> next week, perhaps?

Well, yes but I don't think that I will be able to do much before
Friday, because I am currently on a business trip and it is not easy
for me to read and write e-mail.

[... about using the mailing lists besides IRC]
> I guess... too many avenues and any effect will be diluted.
> Following the GNOME model, the idea is to make a conscious effort
> to have people on IRC for real-time feedback on triaging, as far
> as I can tell. If that's the model we want to follow, then the
> mailing lists don't really offer that kind of communication model.

Yes, that makes sense.

> Just get yourself an IRC client, Raphael :)

I have many IRC clients!  The problem is that I cannot use them: I have
a slow and expensive dial-up connection at home and a much faster
connection at work but that one has a firewall that blocks IRC (the
firewall allows only HTTP, SMTP and SSH).  So I don't think that I will
be able to use any IRC client until I get a cable modem or xDSL line at
home.

> But seriously, would you mind drafting an announcement for this,
> if you have the time? It would be nice to get this done soon, and
> I really don't have a clear idea of what we expect from the week,
> whereas you seem to have some good ideas.

Your announcement didn't look too bad.  As I wrote above, I don't think
that I will be able to do much before Friday.  So if someone else wants
to pick up the job in the meantime, I would not complain.  But then
again, the mailing lists are so slow for the moment that this message
will probably not be delivered until Friday anyway.  Fortunately, you
have IRC to discuss that with the other #gimp'ers.  ;-)  If you don't
get any better proposals before the end of this week, then I will try
to improve it and send you a draft of a revised announcement.

-Raphaël