Hi,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tino Schwarze) writes:

> BTW: Is it possible that there is a 3 Gig limit on per-process memory?
> The machine has 6 GB, no ulimits and I got a "could not allocate x
> bytes" message when I gave 3 Gig tile cache to GIMP (it took about 500
> Meg for other stuff, so I settled with 2.5 GB tile cache and still got a
> 3 Gig swap file plus 3 Gig memory usage).

On a 32bit platform a single process cannot allocate more than 4GB so
I guess you've been hit by that limit somehow. You will need a 64bit
architecture in order to address memory beyond 4GB.  We haven't tested
this but if you were using a 64bit platform GIMP-1.3 should allow you
to extend the tile cache beyond 4GB even.

Sven