Hi,

Daniel Egger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Feb 11, 2004, at 10:51 pm, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:
>
> > IIRC, didn't early versions of OS X have truly pitiful amounts of
> > shared memory available?  Perhaps that is the reason.
>
> So now I recompiled GTK 2.2.4 with SHM and I cannot sense any
> difference in behaviour. However scrolling in gnumeric is still
> as slow[1] as before.

Did you increase the shared memory limit? I am not sure what happens
if it the X server hits the limit but I guess it just silently stops
allocating more shared memory. So unless you changed that limit, it's
not surprising that there's no difference to be sensed.

> I must say that GTK 1.2 runs like a charm here, even without
> SHM. GIMP 1.2 starts in a couple of seconds with all plugins on a
> cache cold system and is snappy all over...
>
> I really need to try 2.0 soon....

>From my experience GIMP-2.0 runs very nicely on MacOS X. I even had PS
users claim that the GIMP-2.0 user interface would feel more
responsive than PS on the same machine.