On Feb 25, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Daniel Egger wrote:

On Feb 25, 2004, at 10:11 am, Sven Neumann wrote:

Did you increase the shared memory limit? I am not sure what happens
if it the X server hits the limit but I guess it just silently stops
allocating more shared memory.

Err, I know somewhat how to mess with POSIX SHM in applications but how can I change the shared memory limits?

On mac os 10.3, in /etc/rc
Look at the lines:
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=41943040
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=320
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=80
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=10240
This is already adjusted by a factor of 10, which will probably help things, but feel free to adjust it higher. keep shmmin=1 the same though. Then reboot. On mac os x client, these adjustements only work the first time you set them, so comment out of old lines or replace them entirely.

In mac os 10.2 and eariler, there is a similar thing done in the startup script SystemTuning or somesuch, but I don't have a 10.2 system to investigae.
--
Dan