This may seem like an oxymoron, given GIMP's heavy defacto relationship
with GNOME-flavoured GTK, but is there any GIMP equivalent to
OpenOffice's KDE integration (http://kde.openoffice.org/)?

The closest I could find was a vague reference to a pre-2.0 KDEified
version of The GIMP, apparently called "KIMP"...

    http://dot.kde.org/1096230607/1096270511/

...and this discussion, which is obviously approaching the issue from
the KDE end and not the GIMP end of things (IMESHO, starting from the
wrong end):

    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=92756018422117&w=2

I am guessing that a "zero overhead" (at least for GTK, I'd envision
this as a 1:1 mapping using #defines) toolkit mapping layer at the
source-code level would make "ports" for Qt/KDE, Carbon, wxWidgets or
whatever considerably easier. Then there'd be only alternative shims to
maintain, not a whole raft of debris integrated with The GIMP proper,
and toolkit bugs would all be located in very few files.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia