On Tuesday 04 October 2005 09:58 am, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:04:42AM -0500, Lance Dockins wrote:
> > I should also clarify that I have considered switching to Linux to make
> > this easier, but I just don't have the time, money, and hardware to do
> > so without destroying the Win32 environment I'm required to use in the
> > professional world.  My guess is that's the case for many Windows users
> > who would like to be able to compile from tarball/CVS without such
> > hassles as we've described here.  Grant that I don't speak for everyone
> > using Win32, but I'd imagine you'd see a positive reception from such an
> > endeavor from more than one Win32 user.
>
> this is so interesting.  Win32 has succeeded in making linux expensive.
>
> you are asking that the Win32 environment not work the way it was
> designed to work -- at least i think this is what you are saying.
>
> i am very impressed that it was able to make free software expensive,
> this is a simply amazing accomplishment!
>
> carol

Carol was a little over the top but is making a valid point.  Windows and
Linux can live on the same machine with no problems.  So you do not have to
"destroy the Wind32 environment".  Many of the folks on this list, myself
included,  have both Linux and Windows running on the machines they use on a
daily basis.  If all you need is enough of a Linux installation to get GIMP
to build and to test GIMP then the amount of diskspace needed to do this is
fairly small and you can free up a partition on your existing hard drive(s)
to do this.  In addition, most Linux distros are free.  So this clearly does
not take any money or new/additional hardware.

The real issue is time.  Which is a valid concern but it might actually take
less time and effort to get a working Linux environment than to mess around
getting Windows setup to compile GIMP since most Linux distros will do this
out of the box or very nearly so.  Some linux distros will do a minimal
install in as little as a half hour.

Hal