Hi,

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 23:27 -0600, Joshua Stratton wrote:
> I recently setup a proposal for Google Summer of Code that involves a
> gallery-style batch processor--a separate window that could display
> various sorting routines on images based on brightness, size, energy
> level, etc.  Images could be grouped into sets that could be
> batch-processed like having all the selected or stacked images
> normalized to filtered with a sepia effect.  I was wondering if anyone
> would find this useful.

I am sure that many users would find this useful.

> I know several applications already provide some of this functionality
> outside of GIMP, but I believe they can be done better.  For example,
> Dave's batch processor provides batch-processing in GIMP in the form
> of a plugin, but lacks visual thumbnails of the various images.  Other
> applications don't have the cross-platform penetration that GIMP
> has.

The main problem with approaches such as Dave's batch processor is that
it only allows a very limited set of operations. It probably does this
because it has to implement it's own user interface for each of the
allowed operations. In my opinion, this is a major drawback. GIMP has a
lot of functionality that would be interesting to use in a batch process
and the batch processor shouldn't limit you to a few.

We have a long-term plan to solve this and it is based on the GEGL port.
I wonder what your plans about this are. Please tell us more about them.