On Sunday 08 February 2009 08:39:38 am Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
> On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 06:44 +0900, Yoshinori Yamakawa wrote:
> > I wrote a small patch for checking embedded profile .
> > http://cue.yellowmagic.info/softwares/files/profile_status.diff
> >
> > Example 1: Image has no profiles
> > http://cue.yellowmagic.info/softwares/images/gimp_profile_status1.png
> >
> > Example 2: Open the gray-scaled image that has "Dot Gain 15%" profile
> > http://cue.yellowmagic.info/softwares/images/gimp_profile_status2.png
> I don't quite understand what this patch is supposed to do. The display
> of color profile information in the Image Properties dialog is already
> there. What does your patch add? To me it looks like the dialog only
> becomes more confusing and misleading.
> Sven

I am finding this thread to be confusing.  In the Color Management section of
the Preferences dialog there is a drop down to set the "File Open behavior"
and the options are "Ask what to do", "Keep embedded profile" and "Convert to
RGB workspace".  Shouldn't this setting also affect the way files opened
without an embedded profile work?   If not then either is should be
generalized to do so or another preference item for how to handle images with
no profile should be added with similar options.  that way the user will have
control over how this behaves.