gg wrote:
> Sven Neumann wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 22:04 +0200, LightningIsMyName wrote:
>>> 1. How will the user create multi-paged PDFs? Should he choose
>>> different images, one for each page? (This sounds like the most
>>> reasonable way compared to other ways I thought of).
>> Why would we want to allow the user to create multi-paged PDF files?
>> Perhaps, before anything else, we need to clearly define what the
>> purpose of PDF export is. We certainly don't want to provide a tool to
>> create an illustrated book. That's what page layout applications are
>> used for.
>> Sven
> Indeed, what is the advantage of pdf export of a single image?
> Despite the current obsession with this format it is pretty clunky and
> inflexible. I don't see much point for a single image.
> PDF would just be a simple wrapper and this would best be done by and
> pdf editor that fully supports all the pdf features. It's unlikely gimp
> would want to maintain full functionality just to do this export.
> The other question is licensing of pdf. IRCC pdf viewing is allowed in a
> fairly liberal sense but creating pdf is what Abode make money on and
> retains the rights to.
> I could be wrong but that was my recollection.
Maybe. But my OpenOffice has "export as PDF" options in Impress
(PowerPoint-like), Calc (Excel-like) and Writer (Word-like). OpenOffice
is free and available, as we all know, for Windoze, MAC, and *nix.

When I want a multipage PDF of a bunch of images, I write them to jpg,
paste them into a Writer document, then export them to PDF. I know it's
clunky, but it works.

 -- Burnie