> the problem is that the linux system I use on the computer labs at
> doesn't have autogen (and some other tools required for the
> compilation) installed, and in order to install it to the main
> directory I need administrator rights. Is there any way to specify
> other directories for tools such as autogen?

There is no such tool called autogen. GIMP comes with a script called
autogen.sh and this script will call some tools such as automake and
autoconf (details are explained in the file HACKING).

You could theoretically install all these tools into your home
directory. But this is rather tricky and you would have to have good
knowledge of these tools to get this done successfully. I suggest that
you use the 2.7.0 tarball instead.