On 7/25/10, saulgoode wrote:

>> GIMP has three ways to access menu currently: menu bar, top-left
>> button where ruler's origin is and right-click menu. This is bloat.
>
> The first two methods are not always available.

As already mentioned above, menubar could simply roll out when needed.
Needless to say, menu accelerators weren't invented out of curiosity
:)

> "Consistence in UI" would seem to me an argument FOR the current
> behavior,

Funny you should say that, because the current way it *is*
inconsistent with the rest of UI. You see, the other word for "right
click menu" is "context menu". Now let's have a look.

Layers dialog. Right-click displays items related only to layers. Check.
Channels dialog. Right-click displays items related only to channels. Check.
Paths dialog. Right-click displays items related only to paths. Check.
Brushes dialog. Right-click displays items related only to brushes. Check.

And the list goes on.

Presumably right-click for canvas would display things related to
objects on canvas. Does it? No.

See? :)

> especially if one considers that other types of input
> devices (pads, pens, touchscreens, etc) commonly share only a single
> type of triggering "click".

So what you are saying is, in fact, that since other types of input
devices do not provide ability to do right-click, the current menu on
right-click is the right thing? Did I get that right? :)

Besides, I already mentioned that it is exactly the reason why
usefulness of right-click menus is becoming questionable. So where
exactly do we disagree and what are we arguing about? :)

> reasoning at the time. Certainly circumstances may change and
> opportunities arise to improve things; but decisions made previously
> by GIMP developers should not be dismissed lightly, and especially not
> without reasonable consideration of the original reasons behind them.

Which is exactly my point. Once again: what are we arguing about? :)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org