On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:27:59 +0200
Martin Nordholts <ense...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think registering a fixed preview image is good enough, it
> should be a preview of the effect if applied to the current image.

Just my 2c. The problem with a preview of the current image is that it
is not "controlled" and so won't necessarily show off the effect.
Imagine a gaussian blur (as a simple example). If the current image is
a 200px x 200px line drawing then the default settings of a blur (5px
IIRC) will produce a noticeable effect in the preview. If the image
being edited is a 35MPix digital photo, then it won't be obvious at all
what the effect is doing in the preview. Rather than apply the default
settings of the effect to the current image, why not allow the author
to create the demonstration image (which will show off "real" use of the
effect), but forcing it to be based on a specific image (Wilber springs
to mind). That way it's using a known base image but can be tweaked to
provide maximum visual effect for the preview?