On 09/20/2010 10:51 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 22:18 +0200, fu...@gmx.net wrote:
>>> GIMP can't load or save any file format except XCF without separate
>>> plug-ins. So by your definition of "native support" GIMP doesn't support
>>> any file formats except XCF. Most features in GIMP are implemented as
>>> plug-ins. So I don't see your point in asking us to add RAW support to
>>> the core. There's a plug-in for it, just as for any other file format.
>>>

>> You get me wrong! I don't say to program it into the core, I am just
>> suggesting, that GIMP should already be shipped with all the required
>> stuff (third-party libraries/plug-ins) that's needed to open/write raw
>> files, instead of depending on software, that has to be
>> downloaded/installed separately.
>
> Then you should direct that suggestion to your distribution of choice.
> We don't decide what's included in the GIMP package that you install. I
> agree that it would be a good idea if the gimp-ufraw package was
> suggested whenever you select gimp for installation. It should probably
> also be included in the Windows installer.

I think the point here is that configure, make, make install on a GIMP
tarball - with all dependencies met - should result in a GIMP
installation with good support for working with RAW images.

And I agree with that, we should not rely on third party packagers to
help us fulfil our product vision.

  / Martin

--

My GIMP Blog: