On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 12:05:26PM -0800, Tuomas Kuosmanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But at least tell me what _I_ should use to avoid excess swapping and even

Itīs easy... try to detect the pysical memory (on common platforms). Then
use getrlimit to find out how much virtual memory we are to use.

Then take a bit less than the minimum of both values. If none exist, use

In any case, process limits need to be set administratively on multi-user
machines anyway, so they should be a good guideline.

> Someone mentioned the tile-cache should be something like half of the ram
> available, does that make sense?

This lacks a definition of "available". The best value is clearly 100% of
the ram that is "available" ;)