On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 01:15:15PM -0500, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Kelly Lynn Martin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:19:03 +0100, Torsten Rahn
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> >
> > GNOME claims GIMP as part of GNOME because GIMP is better than any of
> > the existing GNOME apps.  They're trying to piggyback on our success.
> > Personally, I think this is odious, but hey...
>
> GNOME claims GIMP as a part of GNOME because it really *should be*.  As
> desktop agnostic as GIMP pretends to be, it requires all the same things
> the GNOME requires,

You are 100% incorrect.  GIMP runs on Win32.  GNOME gives no consideration
to this platforms, as far as I know.  GIMP should be kept as independant
from GNOME as possible.

> and can't be configured through any of the standard
> mechanisms for those things (the GNOME people were gracious enough to make
> GTK themes in such a way that they apply to GIMP, but they can't do much
> other than that -- dialogs and buttons in GIMP will never look quite
> 'right' on any desktop.)

Perhaps some of the GIMP team think GNOME's standard mechanisms aren't
that great currently and not good enough for GIMP.  I certainly think
the UI quality of configuring things in GNOME is poor at best.

> GIMP, after all, spawned GNOME -- if it weren't for GTK, GNOME probably
> never would have been started in the first place.  GNOME extended the
> rather clean and well-designed UI of the gimp into an entire desktop
> environment.

I agree.  GNOME is really part of GIMP.  Now let's figure out which
parts to keep and throw the rest away.  ;-)

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking