On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 01:37:58AM +0200, "Steinar H. Gunderson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But then, most other GNU programs use -V for --version and -v for --verbose,
> right? I completely agree that we should strive not to break anything, but the
> question is what (if anything) we'll break, vs. the need for consistency.

I doubt there is any software testing the gimp version using the gimp
itself currently. After all, there is gimptool and it seems to get used
(it is more interesting to check for the library version anyway).

So unless there is some really important piece of software we should go for
-v => verbose.

(BTW, this is not universal, many programs do use -v for version and
--verbose or -V for verboseness (some even use -x or -e or somethign
weird), and, yes, I always swear at them...)