On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 08:52:16PM +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:
[...]
> Doing exactly this I just noted that the already translated strings in
> one .po file do not magically ;-) move from one file to another...
> (from introduction to appendix...)
>
> I need a way to avoid to create uneeded work to other translators...how
> can I move all those strings for _all_ the languages .po files?

There's no simple (make) command to do this, but you can try this
(not tested!):

1. backup appendix.po and introduction.po ;-)

2a. try 'msgmerge' with the '--compendium=FILE' option:

        $ msgmerge --quiet --width=79 \
              --compendium=po/xx/introduction.po \
              --output-file=po/xx/appendix.po \
              po/xx/appendix.po pot/appendix.pot

    and compare new and old appendix.po.

2b. try it with 'make' using the 'COMPENDIUM' variable:

        # save introduction.po:
        $ cp po/xx/introduction.po po/xx/tmp-compendium.po
        $ make po/xx/appendix.po COMPENDIUM=tmp-compendium.po

    and, once more, compare new and old appendix.po.

(Remember to always use the original (saved) appendix.po, if you try
both methods.)

If this works, you can do it with a simple for-loop for all languages.

If it's too complicate you can also notify me after pushing your
changed xml files and I'll try to find out how to move our old
translations.

Ulf

--
Wer beleidigt, braucht nicht unrecht haben; es gibt Köpfe, denen
man erst Verstand liefern müßte, um sie überzeugen zu können.