On Fri, 2015-10-23 at 15:40 +0200, Jehan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2015-10-23 00:27, Michael Natterer wrote:
> > For the record,
> >
> > GNOME also uses the icon, both in alt-tab view and in the taskbar
> > that some people claim doesn't exist, or is it a sidebar? Anyway,
> > the thing that appears in overview mode.
>
> Some people seem to understand opposite things from what you are
> saying.
> Are you saying GNOME uses the Wilber icon, or that it uses the
> thumbnail
> in place of an icon?
> Because I also use GNOME 3 (3.16.2) and I never saw any thumbnail-
> icons
> of GIMP, whether in alt-tab or in the dock in the overview.

I meant the thumbnail, sorry.

My general opinion about this is that this looks like the rare
case where a prefs setting makes sense:

There seem to be two classes of desktop enviromnents: those which show
a panel/taskbar/foo icon per window, and these use the thumbnail; and
those which show an icon per application, and these use the icon.

Then there is two types of users: those who find the thumbnail weird,
and those who find it helpful.

I think a simple "Use Image Thumbnail as Window Icon" boolean toggle
should IMO work just fine, but we definitely should

1. render the thumbnail always as a square (padded with transparency)
   because at least GNOME distorts the thumbnail to be a square.

2. overlay a wilber icon if we render a thumbnail to make the window
   icon recognizable as "GIMP Window".

--Mitch