2012/6/30  <anonfo...@gmx.org>:
> These are the reasons why I went back from GIMP 2.8 to GIMP 2.6.x:
> 1.) The free text field in the "Open file" view has been removed, or at least
> I couldn't find it. A frequent use case for me is to copy a fully qualified
> file name (i.e. including the path) of an image and to paste it to the "open
> file" view of GIMP... Not possible anymore? Why? Progress IMHO is if
> possibilities grow, not if they disappear.

Did you search the dialog? Did you see the large button "Type a file
name" in the top left corner?

> 2.) I open a JPEG and I want to save(!) it as JPEG. Why is GIMP starting to
> domineer over the user now (like e.g. MS Windows has been doing all the time)
> by changing the file type to XCF and forcing the user to "export" the image
> (that was opened as a JPEG!) if he wants to save it as a JPEG again? Progress
> IMHO is if things get easier, not if they get more complicated.

About this point, please refer to the hundreds of mails already
exchanged about the matter, and please really try the new behavior,
without assuming bad thinking from the developers.

> 3.) The calculation of the image size of JPEGs when saving in preview mode is
> buggy, i.e. the size is way too high (GBs instead if MBs). Of course, this is
> only a minor bug which will be fixed soon (if it isn't already). I just
> wanted to note it.

This is a known bug, hopefully fixed very soon.

Do you really think these three points, one of them does not exist,
and another one is a very small point and a known bug, are enough for
not having access to the tremendous new capabilities of version 2.8?

Olivier Lecarme