All DAWs work like this. That's why I used it as an example. DAWs
generally work in a non destructive manner and you need to save that
info for later editing. Not destructively export it without saving the
whole project. 2D image editing has many non destructive aspects. DAWs
have lots of tracks which can be equated to Gimp's layers. Some image
editing apps are totally non destructive. Sure, there are many apps
that do not work with save and export being different dialogs this but
that doesn't make them right.

If you open say a .png or whatever format in Gimp, work on it then
"save" as in the old 2.6 method to .png you are not really "saving"
all that exists in the Gimp project, you are exporting the file back
to .png. Hence it is completely logical to have this separate. In the
new system it's harder to accidentally export when really you wanted
to save the Gimp project.