OK. I'm not looking at Gimp at the moment. I have no source code to
compile but before compiling, as far as I can see there is a file
called gimppaintoptions.c. In that there are the lines:

                                    "brush-size", _("Brush Size"),
-                                   1.0, 1000.0, DEFAULT_BRUSH_SIZE,
+                                  1.0, 10000.0, DEFAULT_BRUSH_SIZE,

I'm not sure if these lines have changes made by me or not. It's just
a text file I found on a drive I have. It looks like they don't have
changes judging by the values?